Open Mouth, Insert...

What's in a name?

The folks over in Mozilla-land have released a new version of their next-generation browser. The major difference this time around is in the name; it was called Firebird (after beginning life as Phoenix), but is now called Firefox. According to reports, the Firebird name had been trademarked by a different open-source group for a completely different program, so Mozilla decided to rename the browser instead of spending time (and money) to work towards "buying" the name. I've only been playing around with the browser for a couple of hours, but I can already tell that the browser is actually faster than its predecessor. This means that it's almost a quantum order faster than IE.

If you're wondering why I'm talking about this, Firebird (and now Firefox) is my everyday browser. It's speed, tabbed browsing, standards compliance and interface designed for maximum acreage for the web page (among other things) drew me to it and I don't see myself switching to anything else anytime soon.

Now you know my browser preference, and I'll stop now before this becomes more of an ad for Mozilla than it already is... ;)

0 comment(s):