Open Mouth, Insert...

Snow in the South

This evening I am enjoying an unplanned day off because of the general inability of the eastern half of North Carolina to deal with snow. Yesterday, the area was inundated with somewhere between 2 and 4 inches of a combination of snow and sleet. Even though I think most of the area would have shut down anyway if it were simply snow, the added sleet convinced the Powers That Be in this area to say "Screw it, let's all stay home."

For those of you that are reading this and have no clue as to what I am talking about, when there's sleet on a cold day after there's been a decent amount of snow, the sleet will freeze over the snow like Magic Shell topping over ice cream, turning everything into a fragile skating rink. For a city for which the running joke is that there is only one snow plow, this can present a bit of a problem. Hence, everything closes down.

Of course, I don't mind. I would much rather watch snow from the comfort of my warm, lighted apartment than to spend it at work, and deal with scraping large amounts of snow off my car while wondering how the drive home is going to be. It encourages my lazy streak, which I am more than happy to indulge.

So, let it snow, so long as the power holds (like it did not last year at this time) and I have enough food.

0 comment(s):