Open Mouth, Insert...

So That's Why...

Remember in my last post where I was wondering why anyone would have a wedding in December in Chicago? Now I know. It's the snow. The wedding mass had just ended and everyone was filing out as the first flurries began to fall. By the time the reception got underway a couple of hours later, an inch of snow had accumulated. Everything was white, which went well with the white and ice-blue motif for the wedding. The wedding itself was nice enough; a Catholic wedding in an old church (I want to say that the building is close to 100 years old) festooned with alcoves and arches and stained glass, presided by a priest that had two speaking speeds: fast and Yoinks! But for all of that, the reception trumped everything. A large reception room was rented out and draped almost completely in white. It was just like the scene outside, only warmer. There was an ice scuplture (a swan) and the cake was framed by a light-encrusted arch and a white Christmas tree. To top it all off, a swing band was brought in to provide music for the whole affair. Now, any reception nowadays that doesn't have either "YMCA" or "Electric Slide" is a good one in my book. But this blew away any reception I have ever been to before. I now know that if/when my turn ever comes up, I'll have a lot of work on my hands to "keep up" with the rest of the family...

0 comment(s):